3 Ways an International Student Can Extend Their Stay Abroad

  • Posted on February 25, 2022
3 Ways an International Student Can Extend Their Stay Abroad

You probably have a lot on your mind if you are an international student about to graduate from a college or university in another country. One of the most urgent concerns is likely to be the chance of obtaining work after graduation. Finding a job after graduation requires a lot of hard work, whether you want to return to your native country or stay and pursue a profession. You must stay on top of visa rules and regulations, which can be complicated and confusing. You may discover that many companies are hesitant to sponsor international students since this process can be costly and time-consuming. Moreover, there is a higher risk to the company if the new recruit does not become beneficial to the organization and all of the time and training provided will have been wasted.  So read along to know 3 Ways an International Student Can Extend Their Stay Abroad.

Can International Students Stay Abroad After Graduation? 

Of course, International students can stay after graduation. In fact, that is one of the primary reasons why many Indian students invest in an international venture. 
A Post-study work visa will allow study abroad graduates to work in nearly any career role for a few years before returning home and thus get the opportunity to strengthen their international exposure. There are several methods to get Stay back options after graduation which will be discussed later. The main thing to note is that the duration of the course has a big impact on the possibility to work during and after the course is completed. So make sure you speak to overseas education consultants before finalizing your application.

Visa Options Abroad After Graduation

Once you have completed your graduation or post-graduation, you can stay back and work in several countries including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. In order to do so, you would need to obtain post-study work visas with respect to the corresponding laws of the country. But make sure the course and university you choose have provisions for staying back and applying for a post-study work visa at all. 
You may alternatively apply for a visa extension if the law permits it. Just make sure to check the expiry date of your student visa and take timely action to avoid unnecessary delays and hurdles. 
In some countries like the USA, having an immediate family member who is a citizen, then there is the option to apply for a green card under their sponsorship. You need to show relevant documents to prove your relationship and any fabricated documents can lead to deportation and probable ban. 
The last option is a bit twisted, but it is not an uncommon practice for foreign students to marry a local citizen when abroad. This process may require your documents and relationship to undergo a lot of scrutiny by the immigration department. All necessary paperwork must be followed to prove that the marriage is genuine and authentic. Even so, you may not automatically get citizenship, but can apply for the same with an option to stay back for longer in some countries. 

How to Request an Extension

Depending on the country you are studying in, the rules and regulations may differ slightly. For example, for extending your student visa or finding stayback options in Canada, you need to apply for at least 30 days or more before your visa expires. You must prove that you have consistently maintained status and that the extension is required due to significant academic or medical reasons, such as unforeseen research issues, a change in major or research subject, or even a documented sickness. Suspension-related programme completion delays and academic probation are not acceptable justifications for programme extension approval.

3 Ways an International Student Can Extend Their Stay Abroad in the USA

Optional Practical Training:  students who have graduated and possess an F-1 visa can choose this option to stay back up to one year.
Non-Immigrant Work Visa: The H-1B visa is a nonimmigrant visa that permits individuals to work in high-skilled jobs(usually in the field of engineering, science, and information technology) for a limited time.
Obtain a Green Card: The greatest prospects for acquiring a Green Card are employment sponsorship, immediate family sponsorship, the Green Card lottery, select military service or asylum status.

3 Ways an International Student Can Extend Their Stay Abroad in Canada

Apply for student visa extension: You can apply for a visa extension to the Case Processing Centre (CIC) either online or offline at least three to four months before your current study permit expires. There is a fee of 150 CAD associated with it and another 85 CAD for biometrics. 
Post-graduation Work Permit (PGWP): Doing a course with a duration greater than eight months makes you eligible for a PGWP. You may be eligible for permanent residency (PR) in Canada if you have at least one year of work experience. With a PR, you may seek Canadian citizenship after three years and live in Canada indefinitely!
Canadian Experience Class (CEC): Anyone who has completed a two-year course at a post-secondary school and has worked in skilled employment for a year is eligible to apply for PR under this Express Entry System.

3 Ways an International Student Can Extend Their Stay Abroad in the UK

Tier 1 UK Visa: Students with a world-class company concept and entrepreneur abilities, as well as sponsorship from a UK university, are eligible to apply and can be valid for three to four months initially. This can be extended to two years provided you meet the eligibility criteria. Another way to apply for a Tier 1 UK visa is through the Sirius Program.
Tier 2 UK Visa: You need to secure a permanent placement with a salary of at least £20,800 annually to apply for a tier 2 UK visa allowing you Stay back options for up to 5 years. 
Tier 5 UK Visa: This allows you to stay back and work in the UK for 12 to 24 months as temporary workers. 

In conclusion, the rules of staying back after completing overseas education differ from time to time. So it is best to approach a reliable overseas education consultant like Campus World before beginning your journey. We can ensure seamless procedures during and after your course in the foreign land of your dreams.